SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
Professional and creative communicator, marketer and educator with two degrees in English and more than 15 years of combined experience bringing polished, engaging content to verticals such as technology, legal, health care, education, private investigation and publishing. Specialist in idea generation and content strategies that inform and entertain as well as build brands and consumer loyalty. Intuitive relationship-builder who develops higher overall rates of engagement, including increasing print and online readerships, generating sales leads, and promoting market awareness. Key player in bringing order to procedural chaos.
Freelance Writer, Editor, Content Marketer and Consultant
- Draft a variety of compelling content for individual clients and companies based on expressed goals.
- Edit others’ content into polished, professional representations of them and/or their businesses.
- Develop high-quality resumes that assist others in achieving professional placement.
- Provide critical feedback on creative works intended for literary publication.
- Consult on the building of publications and audiences as well as develop strategies for reaching readers and consumers.
The Doctor T.J. Eckleburg Review (2017–present)
Poetry Submission Reader
- Review poetry submissions for publication in this literary journal.
University of Nevada, Las Vegas (2014-present)
Director of Communications and Editor-in-Chief — UNLV Division of Research and Economic Development
- Promoted to director after five months within UNLV’s Division of Research and Economic Development to develop, implement, and oversee a comprehensive internal and external communications program, strategy, and budget for the division, including print and digital content, video, advertising, media outreach, and more.
- Strategically restructured the university’s research magazine, overseeing all aspects of production and reducing costs established by the previous director more than 50 percent.
- Directly supervise in-house and freelance staff as well as mentor my employees and colleagues on editorial matters.
- Spearheaded the committee for our premier event series, Research Week; subsequently doubled the number of events held and nearly tripled attendance over the previous year.
- Pitched stories to media and tracked nearly 100 division-related media clips that contributed to more than $100,000 in calculated publicity value in 2016 alone.
- Personally produced 15 long-form articles and press releases, 16 e-newsletters, 26 ads, and 500+ social media posts in my first year.
External Relations Manager –– UNLV University Libraries
- Developed and managed comprehensive public relations/communications programs in order to advance the Libraries’ mission and support Development’s fundraising efforts.
- Nominated for the Libraries’ Innovative Solutions Award for creating a single, shared, searchable storage system for 65GB of images, which I built during my first six months of employment.
- Produced the content and developed the print and digital graphic designs for four 12-page newsletters in a little over a year, increasing production to an all-time high for the unit.
- Increased the Libraries’ coverage on UNLV News Center by more than 25 percent, again reaching an all-time high for the unit.
- One of only five unit communicators to produce an article that ranked in the top 30 for views on the UNLV News Center.
- Established a workflow for promoting faculty and staff accomplishments, increasing these postings by 350 percent.
- Managed the reorganization project for the unit’s graphic design materials, centralizing them into libraries and making them accessible in order to boost efficiencies among the Libraries’ communicators.
- Generated nearly 30 pieces of marketing collateral (donor and public event invites, press releases, bookmarks, web banners, posters, etc.) just within the first three months of employment.
- Wrote and implemented a style guide to ensure adherence to brand and consistency of messaging across channels.
- Handled all media outreach for the Libraries.
- Kept freelance costs under $250 total during my entire tenure in the position.
- Tracked data and analyzed metrics on expenditures, media touches and readership to inform communications strategies.
- Trained colleagues in graphic design, editorial writing, and more and prepared a communications toolkit for succession planning.
Publications Writer –– UNLV Department of Police Services
- Developed and managed advertising and marketing campaigns, including generating and distributing educational and promotional content and collateral, to increase community awareness and investment.
- Conceptualized and produced external and internal newsletter content; constructed a historical record of all newsletter materials produced by the department over the past decade.
- Created a new brochure and overhauled the design of all newsletters and brochures for an updated and brand-consistent look.
- Launched the department’s first online registration for self-defense classes and created the in-house manual for the system’s use.
- Mapped, fact-checked and edited the department’s entire website (50+ pages), ensuring copyright adherence.
- Drafted new Web pages as well as speech materials for presentations given by the chief and assistant chief of police.
- Established a master set of instructions for posting announcements on the various media platforms leveraged by the department.
- Developed comprehensive and visually cogent calendars with accompanying deadline and contact lists to efficiently and effectively track the department’s marketing campaign efforts and ensure the synchronization of advertising.
Inbound Marketing Content Creator, Editor, Curator
- Co-developed and am executing on a measurable content marketing strategy on a part-time basis to build brand awareness and generate sales.
- Wrote 36 blogs, eight Web pages, five data sheets and one e-book in the first 105 days of employment (part-time).
- Significantly increased readership and community engagement within the first quarter of employment: produced the content that generated the company’s first blog comment in its four-year existence within the first two months; produced the most frequently shared blog post the company’s had within the first three months; produced three of the five most frequently read blog posts (triggering multiple downloads of the company’s free product trial) within the first four months.
- Researched and pitched relevant media outlets to achieve the successful future syndication of company blogs.
- Copy write and copy edit to ensure consistent marketing messaging is present across all content products.
1105 Media/Office Technology Group (2010–2013)
- Collaborated in the development of all editorial products (including editorial calendar topics and article pitches/assignments for myself and others) and educational events produced by the company; created the tagline selected for Workflow magazine.
- Interviewed between 75 and 100 people each year to personally produce more than 30 full-length (1,500+ words) feature articles (not counting the blogs I also authored) each year — some of which have been reprinted internationally.
- Participated in the planning and execution of each publication’s issues/products, including copy editing, proofing and fact checking more than 300 pages per month (features, blogs, newsletters, etc.) in AP style.
- Increased business development and readership through posting on social media platforms such as Twitter and LinkedIn, growing our followings; sought out, directed and ensured the posting of relevant news to our websites from these and other sites.
- Achieved admittance for myself and colleagues to exclusive, invitation-only industry events; attended an average of 12 trade shows each year and brought back more than 200 qualified new industry contacts yearly, including speakers for our educational events as well as freelance bloggers from major corporations such as Xerox, Nuance and more that I personally recruited.
- Served as the editorial director’s backup for building and posting e-newsletters to our readership.
- Produced scripts to host webinars sponsored by our advertisers.
- Generated press releases on a voluntary basis for a related industry association to build camaraderie between our organizations.
- Interviewed prospects for internal openings and ensured a strong team and sense of morale was maintained.
Teachers Health Trust (2008–2010)
Communications Specialist/Coordinator & Contributing Editor
- Engaged in the editorial planning and execution of Health Traxx, generating content (based off participant interviews and research I conducted) and graphic designs for the publication.
- Managed the monthly internal newsletter production, designed the updated Trust letterhead, created and updated the participant plan documents and internal staff manuals, and edited the Trust’s entire form letter database.
- Learned Adobe GoLive and basic SQL to assist IT in its database management and Web development tasks, and took on the clearing of duplicate claims from and entering of new participant information into the system to assist Claims.
- Created and maintained social media sites to promote awareness of the Trust, its documentation deadlines and its events.
- Attended Trust events to assist participants by resolving questions, facilitating onboarding processes, etc.
Bowling Green State University (2007–2008)
Assistant to the Director of Creative Writing
- Tapped from my peer group to personally assist BGSU’s creative writing program director as well as budget and coordinate the entire visiting writer series for the department (including recommending, pursuing and landing speakers for the reading series).
- Personally assisted all visiting writers, ensuring that their travel arrangements and accommodations were satisfactory and that they had an excellent experience at our university.
- Scheduled the visiting writer events and coordinated Q&A sessions, meals, book orders and local transportation.
- Created and distributed all publicity/public relations materials associated with the events.
- Served as the director’s liaison, completing various administrative projects and duties as assigned and delegating responsibilities to other graduate students as necessary.
- Taught composition and creative writing to undergraduates (MLA style), developing unique syllabi and curricula designed to instill a sense of passion for creative writing and the English language.
Assistant Editor, Mid-American Review
- Reviewed thousands of submissions and made final recommendations for publication in this literary magazine.
Media Access Group at WGBH (2003–2006)
- Accurately captioned between 30-60 minutes per shift (twice the employee average) and was selected as one of a handful of writers who could caption sensitive materials (e.g., motion pictures) before official release.
- Reviewed and reformatted files for DVD and syndication projects; converted tapes into captioning-friendly formats for the staff.
- Offered a middle-management position as a reviewer shortly before leaving for grad school.
Fu-gen, Inc. Research and Investigation (2002–2003)
Report Writer/Administrative Assistant
- Produced comprehensive workers’ compensation claims reports based on interviews and investigations regarding potential fraud that were conducted by staff in the field on behalf of organizations including Con-Agra Foods, the City of Los Angeles (including LAPD) and more.
- Trained new employees such as the person hired for the MTA task manager position, delegating investigative task assignments and assisting with database management in the interim.
- Ramped up and produced so quickly that I was awarded a merit raise after two months of employment.
Fegen Management (2001–2002)
Legal Executive Assistant
- Performed legal secretarial work including transcription of dictation, letter drafting, filing and answering phones for the CEO as well as other attorneys.
- Began interviewing applicants and performing accounting tasks upon mastering my other duties.
Valentine Publishing Group (2000–2001)
- Scheduled author readings, signings and media events as well as created PR materials (i.e., press kits) and made cold calls to promote book sales.
- Promoted to events supervisor shortly after hire due to exemplary performance in event scheduling and book sales.
Bowling Green State University
- Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing.
- Fully funded.
- 4.0 GPA.
University of Arizona
- Bachelor of Arts in English.
- Regents Scholarship.
- Van de Verde Scholarship.
- Phi Beta Kappa.
- Phi Eta Sigma.
- College of Humanities Certificate of Commendation Award.
- 3.96 GPA.
- Social media platforms, CMS/blogging/microblogging websites, social networking websites, etc.
- Adobe Suites: InDesign, Photoshop, etc.
- Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, Outlook, Publisher, PowerPoint, etc.
- Blackbaud NetCommunity.
- Basic knowledge of SQL language, HTML and Web design (Adobe GoLive, Sitecore, etc.).
- WordPerfect experience.
- Mac and PC proficient.
- Participate in multiple readings and book signings locally and nationally to promote An Animal I Can’t Name and other publications of mine.
- Lead the UNLV Research Week Planning Committee.
- Serve on multiple search committees to hire UNLV staff.
- Member of the UNLV Student Conduct Hearing Board.
- Member of University Research Magazine Association (URMA).
- Member of Association of Writers & Writing Programs (AWP).
- Member of Alumni Magazine Meetup.
- Conceptualized a potential mentoring program for the UNLV Scarlet & Gray Free Press student newspaper.
- Guest presenter at Eta Phi Beta Sorority’s 32nd Annual National convention in 2016.
- Mentor to two undergraduates and one staff member.
- Gave a creative writing workshop to teenage volunteers at the Rape Crisis Center.
- Presented a virtual creative writing workshop at Ohio University.
- Served on UNLV’s Presidential Debate Campus Engagement Committee.
- Former member of two committees involved in transforming the UNLV University Libraries’ strategic communications.
- Nominated for UNLV University Libraries’ Innovative Solutions Award for my efforts during my first six months of employment — more specifically, for the extensive research and work I did in that time to create a single, shared system for all the Libraries’ images that contains searchable, organized folders.
- Awarded the UNLV Department of Police Services Meritorious Unit Citation — one of very few that civilians are able to receive from the police — because my efforts during my eight months of employment with the department “exceeded the professional standards of the UNLV Department of Police Services.”
- Hosted Business Imaging Expo’s 2013 Managed Print Summit.
- Volunteer on the Managed Print Services Association (MPSA) Communication Committee.
- Volunteer at Ronald McDonald House.
- Moderated “The Supplies Side of MPS” panel at The Imaging Channel’s 2012 Managed Print Summit.
- Volunteer at Three Square Food Bank.
- Presented “The Dangers of Silence in Graduate Creative Writing Workshops” at the AWP’s 2008 Pedagogy Forum.
- Presented as part of the panel for “Writing the Body: Feminist Creative Writing Projects” at the 2008 Battleground States Interdisciplinary Cultural Studies Graduate Student Conference.
- Presented as part of the panel for “Political Aesthetics: Feminist Creative Writing Projects” at the 2007 Battleground States Interdisciplinary Cultural Studies Graduate Student Conference.
- Presented panel on “Inspiration & Illness” at the 2006 Winter Wheat Literary Festival.
- Judged the 2008 Fineline Competition for Mid-American Review.
- 2007 & 2008 Spring Harvest Conference participant.
- 2007 Winter Wheat Conference participant.
- Poetry was nominated for 2006 and 2007 AWP Intro Awards.
- Served as Graduate Writers Club Vice President.
- BFA Curriculum Committee Member.
- Coordinated Master Class Series at Bowling Green State University.
- Judged the 2006 James Wright Poetry Competition for Mid-American Review.
- Participated in two community artists’ salons in L.A.
- Wrote, directed, and acted in an original 10-minute one-act at Road Theater Co.
- Undergraduate English Member Club.
- Acted in Faust: Part 1, Oresteia, and other Horror Unspeakable productions.
- Designed and taught college-level course in Creative Self-Expression (3 semesters).
- Catalina Foothills Writing Center intern.
- Volunteered as an acting teacher for middle school children.